RSS

Pressuring Missionaries

21 Dec

Almost every week at my church we have what we call a Ministry Minute. They can be about all sorts of things like missionary updates, outreach opportunities, community events we are helping with, etc. It’s to make sure everyone is aware of what is going on and how they can be involved. But recently we’ve started doing something really cool: we’ve been able to Skype our overseas missionaries during that time and get their updates directly from them. It’s super neat. Way to go, Tech Team!

A couple of Sundays ago, we were Skyping a couple in Spain (ok, just how awesome is that?) and a thought occurred to me as they were telling us ways that God was working through them.

We expect a lot from our missionaries. I was sitting listening with this huge smile on my face and suddenly I felt how much pressure these people must feel from us. (My smile probably whipped right off as I worked this out in my head.)

But think about it. Missionaries come back to the States to either raise support or they may be on a break but everyone everywhere wants to know what God is doing and how he’s working. You know what? What if they are in a spiritual desert?? What if they feel like they are preaching to stones and NO ONE is responding? Would they feel like they could be honest with us?

Also, do we ask people in our own church those questions with the same earnestness? Do you want to know what the Lord is doing in your friends’ lives just as much or are you only interested in the far away?

I’ve been thinking this over and been feeling a little bit more compassionate towards the missionaries I know this week. The more I thought about it, I realized it really applies to anyone working in ministry! They aren’t Jesus. They are people who need to be loved and encouraged just as much as you and I and are often far away from everyone they know. Maybe pray a little more for them as Christmas comes next week.

8 Comments

Posted by on December 21, 2018 in church

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Pressuring Missionaries

1. Johannes Swart

December 24, 2018 at 11:38 PM

I am sue your churches missionaries are loving it.

• Kimmy

December 25, 2018 at 6:18 AM

I think it’s a blessing all around!

• Johannes Swart

December 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM

Yes it is, I think it gives the Missionaries a chance to give their side of things that is happening and gives the congregation a chance to see what the results of their giving does and they feel more part of the work.

• Kimmy

December 25, 2018 at 7:40 AM

Yes! And I also think it helps the missionaries feel more connected and lets them know we are thinking about them and praying for them. We are in this together for the gospel!

2. Becca

December 22, 2018 at 1:24 PM

I wonder if our tech team could possibly set something like that up. 🤔

• Kimmy

December 22, 2018 at 1:47 PM

Yeah! You really should ask Jake and see. It’s super neat!

3. Matthew Winters (Honest Thoughts from a Pastor)

December 21, 2018 at 1:05 PM

I think more churches need to be doing this. I believe I saw David Jeremiah’s church do that when I used to watch his services online. A healthy church is an outreach-minded, missions-minded church.

• Kimmy

December 21, 2018 at 9:40 PM

We love doing it! It’s great to connect with our missionaries “face-to-face” more often!

Feel free to comment on anything I have said here! However, comment moderation is enabled and rude, inflamatory, or inappropriate comments will be deleted.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s